Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 17, 2011

Today is Dr. Martin Luther King Day.

This is the last speech given by Dr. King.  It's words ring as true today as they did in 1968.  

It is still strange to have a holiday of someone who lived in my time.  Most holidays as you know are for people that lived, "back then."  I don't remember anything of Dr. King, my only recollection of that time is, when we were living in Chicago, being told by my parents to stay away from the windows because of riots in the streets.  That may or may have been about Dr. King, but it has always been in my memory like that.

 

It's an interesting speech, he's in Memphis to come to the aid of workers looking for equal pay.  That of course is not why the speech is remembered, it stands out because he seems to foreshadow his own demise.  

 

Part 1

 

Part 2

 

Yes today is a Federal Holiday.  Some people have the day off so some will march, give speeches, do some volunteer work, some will have to work, and some will not do a thing.  Not sure where I am going with all this, I guess today I will share his final speech, and perhaps, hit the march downtown and give blood.  

Today is a holiday of a man who lived and was murdered in my lifetime.  It still seems strange.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." 

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

No comments: